Thursday, July 5, 2012

Jello Shots

I had never made Jello Shots before but they sounded like a good adult addition to the 4th of July party our neighbors were having. So I looked up a recipe on cooks.com and essentially the consensus was 1 package of jello with 1 cup of hot water and 1 cup of alcohol. So then I got to thinking what combination I wanted to make. Pina Colada sounded good and the grocery store had pineapple jello. I had coconut rum at home so I got that one. I had tried chocolate vodka for the first time over the weekend and it was so good I was planning on picking some up at the liquor store so I thought about what might be good with it and so I got black cherry jello. So I picked up the chocolate vodka and got to work. I made the pineapple jello/coconut rum combination first. After making it and pouring into the cups I realized this particular brand of jello (Royal I believe) calls for 4 cups of water (2 cups hot/2 cups cold) and is supposed to make twice the amount of jello. Oops! The black cherry jello/chocolate vodka combination was next and I read the package and it called for 2 cups of water so I went ahead and prepared it the same way I did the pineapple batch. Well, after sampling both the consensus was the pineapple ones were delicious and the black cherry ones were merely okay and will not be made again. But they were ALL gone in the end!

What you will need:
  • 1 package Royal Pineapple Jello (2.8 oz)
  • 1 cup Coconut Rum (I used Bacardi)
  • 1 cup boiling water
  • Jello Shot Cups (I ordered on amazon.com)
What you will do:
  • Place plastic shot cups in sheet pan
  • Add jello mix to boiling water in bowl and whisk until dissolved.
  • Wait 3 minutes or so for it to cool down a bit then add coconut rum and whisk together to combine.
  • Pour mixture into a large glass measuring cup with pouring edge on it. Fill cups half way with mixture. It makes about 15-20 shots.
  • Refrigerate for 1 hour until firm. (good with whipped cream on top as well)

No comments:

Post a Comment